Saturday 7 September 2019

John Masefield: Morrisian



Having grown up at the seaside, I’ve always loved those stirring lines from John Masefield’s poem ‘Sea Fever’: “I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,/And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by”.  And I knew, from later reading, that he had spoken at the Morris centenary celebrations in 1934.  Recently I came across Muriel Spark’s assertion, in her book on Masefield, that “Morris has been the formative influence ... on Masefield’s view of life”, and it’s been interesting to track that influence through in the Poet Laureate’s lively letters to his American friend Florence Lamont.


In July 1918 he is recommending Morris’s Icelandic translations to her: “How are the sagas shaping?  Do you still think of the Volsunge?  There is a quite lovely tale in the 3 N Love tales.  I think it’s called Frithiof the Bold”.  In January 1924 he narrates a visit to the White Horse Hill, to which May Morris herself was in those years making annual pilgrimages.  The place was in flames as the locals burnt off the grass, and Masefield reflects that “the burning of the grass is part of some old religion, which that strange hill created & cannot let die.  There is something holy and uncanny about all that strip of Down”. 


On 6 November 1930 he drives via Morris’s beloved Great Coxwell Barn to Kelmscott itself: ‘I have been over to the grave of Morris … & tonight I shall read some of his poetry again.  It makes one wonder: what would my life have been without him?  Supposing I had never had that influence, nor had those particular thrills, & special luring into special ways?”  Then four years later, he offers Florence Lamont his thoughts on the centenary itself: “We drove over to Exeter College, & ate & drank in his memory, & then I gave the speech in the College Hall … Miss M was there, but not Miss Lobb … I had the feeling that he was conscious of our thought of him & perhaps saw the bright side of our intentions”.

No comments: